This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
Almost everyone knows about Stainless Steel cookware and has more or less used it. This is a creation of the highest excellence that comes with high-grade tri-ply construction. The artistic silver shine appearance of a stainless steel cookware set makes itself fit well in your dream kitchen. You can make a broad range of healthy and tasty dish very quickly from years to years, from generation to generation. For its variety of features and a wide variety of benefits, top chefs love them to use in top-class restaurants worldwide.
In today’s article, we are going to mainly talk about the advantages and disadvantages of stainless steel cookware. Before that, we’ll very briefly highlight what it is and some of its features. Let’s proceed on stainless steel cookware pros and cons.
What is Stainless Steel Cookware?
Stainless steel is a metal alloy; a combination of steel and some other metals. The composition determines different grades levels of stainless steel, ranging from low to high, that refers to durability, quality, and temperature resistance.
Well-made stainless steel cookware is made of:
• Stainless Steel- as the primary material that is strong and durable.
• Chromium- to make it rust resistant and enhance its durability.
• Nickel- provides corrosion protection and also adds a polished finish.
• Copper or Aluminum- added as the basement of the pots and pans that increase heat conductivity of the cookware.
Features of Stainless Steel Cookware:
Some of the various features of stainless steel cookware are:
• Quality product
• Beautiful rich shined and polished appearance
• Sturdy and extremely durable
• A smooth and hard non-porous surface that is scratch proof
• Corrosion resistant
• A good range of items comes with the set
• Easy to handle
• Lifetime service
Stainless Steel Cookware Pros and Cons
A coin has two sides. Like everything else stainless steel cookware also has both of its advantages and disadvantages. Major pros and cons are described below:
Stainless Steel Cookware Pros
• Timeless Classic Product: Bright, sparkling, and silver-shine opulent outlook never let it go out of trends. Years after years it will keep its beauty and enhance your kitchen’s elegance, and you’ll never have to replace them.
• Corrosion Resistant: Stainless steel is uniquely able to resist corrosion and stains for a long time. It is resistant to scratches, dents, and dings by its natural physical properties. So, stainless steel cookware will not easily corrode or develop rust. Besides, other added elements like nickel, nitrogen, and molybdenum, etc. increase the corrosion resistant properties of it.
• Auto Healing Power: This is one of the unique property of stainless steel. Added chromium form a transparent chromium oxide layer that protects the cooking item’s surface. In the presence of a small amount of oxygen stainless steel can become self-healed.
• Heat Transfer Ability: Modern stainless steel pots and pans are coated with aluminium or copper to improve its surface and lessen cooking time with a better heat transferability. It will help you to get a fast and evenly cooked food.
• Extreme Strength and Hardiness: Significant strength-to-weight of a stainless steel cookware set will give you another major benefit. As it is corrosion resistant and sturdy, it is ready to provide you with a lifetime service with classic style and comfort.
• Healthy Cooking with Flavor Preservation: Stainless steel cookware do not react with foods, and there is no impact on the flavour quality of the meal. Besides, it doesn’t tend to have any coating on it; there is no risk of leaching hazardous chemicals or carcinogens. You will get healthy food without losing its natural aroma.
• Easy to Handle and Clean: Stainless steel cookware needs less effort for maintenance, comfortable to use and easy to clean. It is also dishwasher safe, and you can keep it even in the refrigerator.
• Versatility: Stainless steel cookware doesn’t react with acidic or with alkaline foods, that means it can be used for cooking all sorts of foods without any fear that the metal will react.
• Suitable for Commercial Use: A full range of items in a stainless steel cookware set can be used for preparing a variety of foods. It can hold its shine with a minimum cleaning and can be easily sterilized as well. That is why they are commercially used in restaurants and much other healthcare and medical industries.
• Eco-friendly and Recyclable: Stainless steel is completely eco-friendly and recyclable. The pots and pans can be salvaged by another means. Over half of all modern stainless steel is made from melted and recycled scrap metal. That is why they are favoured by the environment concerned people.
Stainless Steel Cookware Cons
• Poor Heat Conductivity: Stainless steel is not always a very good heat conductor. That is why stainless steel cookware may not be much effective for cooking foods evenly unless a bonded copper or aluminium base is used. You may need a lot of practices and have the patience to get your best dish.
• Expensive: Price depends on the grade of stainless steel, that is, the quality of the product. Good stainless steel cookware items can be pricey to you if you’re on a budget as the material itself is more expensive than many other metals.
• Chance of Discoloration: The outside of the cookware items can be discoloured if you expose it to very high heat. Sometimes food deposition on the surface cause stain.
• No Zero-fat Cooking: You cannot avoid using butter or oil to cook zero-fat foods with stainless steel cookware.
Why Should You Buy If It Has Disadvantages Also?
Stainless steel cookware has a lot of advantages and a few disadvantages. However, the problems can be surmounted by the other positive points of it and follow some tips in some cases.
• Stainless steel cookware with an inner core of copper or aluminium has an increased heat transferability. This cookware is expensive but won’t wear and tear easily for several years. Even they can be handed down for the next generation to use!
• Cheap cookware never lasts long, so go for the highest grade products. Although they are a bit pricey, they are best. Instead of buying individual items, get it as a set that will be more reasonable. A good stainless steel cookware set is worthy of its price due to the life-long service that it ensures. Buy the best that you can afford.
• Use it on low to medium heat to lessen discoloration. In general, stainless steel cookware should be washed right after using it to avoid any potential for staining.
• You may not get zero-fat food with them, but you can cook low-fat meals with a little practice.
What do you think?
Quality comes first. You must look for something that is safe, free from risks of any leaching and gives you enjoyable cooking experience. Cookware is the area that can’t be neglected. Hopefully, in this article, stainless steel cookware pros and cons are well-described for your assistance. In most of the cases, strong advantages of it can surplus the negative sides. That is why stainless steel cookware is widely accepted by a home cook to professional chefs worldwide. It will make sense to buy the best one in your budget that is also worthy of its cost. Once you’ve got it, this all-time classic legend will never let you go down. Whatever you decide, wish it will bring you happy and enjoyable cooking experience.