This post contains affiliate links. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.
Our day-to-day life is facilitated by the use of various domestic appliances, such as an electric kettle. The electric kettle serves to boil cooking/bathing water, as well as the making of tea. Most people who start using electric kettles quickly become more dependent on their use. It boils water much faster and easier than a stove. Because of the hard water, a kettle or coffee maker can easily scale, which reduces the heating capacity of the appliance.
- How to Clean an Electric Kettle
- Some More Ways to Clean Electric Kettle
- More Tips for Care and Maintain Electric Kettle
- Final Verdict
If you must protect your kettle from getting damaged, regular cleaning is required. However, most people tend to neglect cleaning the electric kettle.
Here are some tips and tricks on how to clean electric kettle.
How to Clean an Electric Kettle
1. Cleaning Electric Kettle with Vinegar
If the interior of your electric kettle has become scaled, don’t bother yourself so much by buying bottles of descalers or “special coffee maker, filters, and kettles.” A simple bottle of white vinegar (also called alcohol or crystal) will do the trick. Not content with being a formidably effective anti-limescale, it is also a non-toxic, non-polluting, and very cheap product (30 to 50 cents per liter in the supermarket. Vinegar can help reduce the build-up of lime in an electric kettle. It is convenient to get away because the steam that emanates from the vinegar is very strong. Then we empty the kettle and repeat the process with water to rinse. We recommended you carry out this task once or twice a month, depending on how frequently you use yours.
To efficiently clean kettle with vinegar, follow the instructions below:
- Pour vinegar and water in equal amounts into the appliance and prepare a solution.
- Fill the latter halfway or three-quarters with this solution.
- Turn on your device and let this solution boil.
- Switch off the appliance for 20 to 30 minutes to reduce the build-up of scale. You can leave the solution for a longer period or increase the amount of vinegar if the agglomeration is bad.
- Scrub the inside of the device with a sponge, cloth, or soft, non-metallic brush.
- Rinse thoroughly with fresh water. To eliminate the smell of vinegar, you can fill the water again, let it boil, and empty it.
- Wipe the inside of the kettle and let it dry.
2. Clean an Electric Kettle with the lemon
If you don’t have vinegar or don’t like using it too much for any reason, you can also try lemon juice. The method is the same, more or less. There is no denying that lemon is a real miracle cure for cleaning electric kettles and other household items without the use of chemicals. It will allow you to remove the scale that has become embedded in the heating system of your devices. To do this, mix a lemon juice in half a liter of water. Then pour this mixture into your kettle and turn it on. Finally, remove all the water and rinse the device thoroughly several times. Perform the same operation on your coffee maker while always making sure to rinse well to prevent your coffee from having a lemony taste.
- Prepare a solution of water and lemon juice. You can also cut the lemon pieces and leave them in the water.
- Fill your device with this solution.
- Let it boil.
- Let it soften the hard ladder inside the device.
- Remove stubborn streaks with a gentle scrub or brush.
- Rinse it with fresh water and let it dry.
The use of lemon juice for cleaning electric kettle will give additional benefits to making it look like a fresh lemon. However, if you don’t like the resulting odor, you can boil the water and empty it to eliminate any smell inside.
Some More Ways to Clean Electric Kettle
3. Apply Baking Soda Solution to Remove Rust from the Electric Kettle
The ultimate health solution, baking soda can also be used to clean your electric kettle and other scaled appliances. This product will lower the calcium content in the water and clean the layer of lime that has formed on the surfaces. And compared to lemon or white vinegar, it has the advantage of not giving an unpleasant taste to your drinks. To use it well, mix two teaspoons of powder in a liter of water. Pour everything into your kettle or coffee maker, then turn it on. Discard the water and repeat until the limestone disappears permanently.
4. Use a Commercial Cleaner to Clean the Electric Kettle
If you would prefer to use a commercial cleaner, you can search for a kettle cleaning chemical on the net or in your local supermarket. You should dilute the chemical with water according to its producer’s directions and then boil the resulting solution in the kettle. Once you’ve done this, do not forget to rinse the kettle thoroughly to prevent the chemical from contaminating your drinks.
More Tips for Care and Maintain Electric Kettle
1. Clean Electric Kettles with Citric acid
Besides classic solutions like lemon, white vinegar, or bicarbonate, there are less common, but also natural tips that help you get rid of limescale. Among them is citric acid obtained through fermentation of sugar solutions and which is completely natural and organic. This vegetable acid is appreciated as a food additive but also helps get rid of tartar. In your device, pour a liter of water mixed with two tablespoons of this acid. Wait a few hours for the product to take effect. Then rinse.
2. Clean Electric Kettles with Soda
Soda contains substances that help eliminate lime. Just pour a good amount into your coffee or kettle and then leave the product to act for a few hours. Like other tips, rinse your device thoroughly afterward.
If all these techniques on how to clean electric kettle do not lead to the expected results, use a limestone magnet by placing it around the water inlet pipe. It will take care of retaining all the unwanted particles. So, even though many find the practice of cleaning electric kettles cumbersome and tiring, it is very vital for household hygiene. Using the tips listed above, effectively clean your device and, by so doing, protect your health.